Monday, July 17, 2006

Ever have those times where you feel you are just getting things together and then it all goes south?

On Saturday I was driving from Rochester back to Sanford (I had to get guinea pig food and the only kind they will eat is sold only at a place in Rochester) when car decided to not work properly. Am mad at car because we just purchased it seven months ago. However, we knew car was not wonderful since we purchased it for $1,200. I still felt it could last a year. Now, transmission is kaput! So, as we were steadily climbing our way out of debt acquired after I lost my job in November, we are wondering how to purchase a new car. While I am a stay-at-home mom, I did need a car to go to well-baby-check ups and for sanity. The sanity part could have been done without for a while, but with Adam working two jobs I would be stuck at home ALL the time and relying on one vehicle doesn't seem practical (I was trying to figure out a way to not spend money we really don't have on another car, but husband says impossible).

I know I'm not the only one feeling overwhelmed by money issues lately. Our friends Steve and Sarah had a baby last year and then moved in with Sarah's parents because they were drowing in debt. They were just getting it all together, considering a possible move when Sarah finds out she's six months pregnant! While they are excited for Trevor to have a baby sisiter (Madison) they aren't excited about having to continue to live with their parents and do the money juggle again.

Then to add to all of the thoughts about the car money issue, father-in-law dearest has proposed we sell our homes and buy a duplex in New Hampshire... something we wanted to do when we were first looking for a house. I'm a little unsure about the whole idea, mostly for emotional reasons. We have friends here now, we have a church we love, I know how to get to everywhere, I love my doctor and want to have more children at the local hospital, like current house, don't want to pack up and move.

Husband understanding I think through things with emotions brings his logic to the discussion last night. "Would save LOTS of money sharing a mortgage, new job (wherever that is) would not be taxed at 8 percent like Maine, possibly make more money (Maine has low wages), not as many taxes in New Hampshire as in taxation land. If we purchase a triplex (also something being discussed) we can rent third part out and make money helping with the fact that I don't want to work, but stay home with baby. Parents always nearby to help when needed. All of these things help us get out of debt faster, have stress-free life."

Me: see above on emotional aspects.

Husband: sending out resumes, leaving in God's hands. If a job offer is made, duplex idea meant to be.

Me: We have to pack all this stuff up again? Okay, so nothing has been decided yet, but still not fully sold on idea. And now to find out how late local car dealership is open (where we purchased husband's VERY reliable car. The place I purchased dead car not even in existance anymore).

1 comment:

Val said...

(((((Kris)))))) Praying for you. I know how stressful impending upheaval is. Keep us posted and know that we care.