Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Oh, Christmas Tree

Ryan and I decorated the Christmas tree together this year. We did it on Saturday. He was so excited to put out all of the decorations and his joy made this task so wonderful.

As I pulled out each ornament and placed it on the lid of our plastic storage container, my mind was flooded with such wonderful memories of Christmas' past. I pulled out an old paper ornament made in my college days that adorned my dorm room door of old Burritt Hall. It's two colored Christmas lights with smiling faces. I have taped them together and added string and they have adorned our Christmas tree since 2002. They remind me of the good old days with my wonderful roommate Betsy.

Thinking of Betsy and all the crazy things we did together got me thinking about good old Greenville and how dearly I miss it and our dear friends still living there. That's when I pulled out some glass ornaments that Sarah, my mom and I decorated on the first Thanksgiving Adam and I spent together in Greenville. Some have broken over the years and others have lost their bows and other embellishments, but I remember making them and the happiness I felt that day to have my family in Greenville and my friends to celebrate Thanksgiving.

On our tree, there are ornaments to mark the times in our lives.... a pregnant woman marks 2005, A John Deer Tractor and Santa mark 2008. There are precious Junkanoo dolls from home and a beautiful seashell one that I place really high so the boys will not break. There's a lighthouse from a friend's wedding, a snowman I got after my first massage, beautiful crosses made by a friend and so, so many more. Each ornament holds a story, a memory, marks a point in time.

I look forward to more sweet memories to adorn my tree in the years to come.

No comments: