Monday, June 19, 2006

Coutning our blessings

Our day started very early today. I can almost say yesterday never really ended for me. We were at the McGee household for father's day and got home around 9:30. Adam started feeding Ryan while I took a shower and got ready for bed. When I was done, I took over for Adam so he could get to bed a little early. Mr. Ryan never actually went to sleep. He moaned and groaned all night and eventually started crying and could not be consoled. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. As long as we were holding him, he was fine. We even tried letting him "cry it out" just becuase we had no idea. And then at about 3:30 this morning, it dawned on me that, hey, the little man might be sick. So, we took his temperature and discovered he was running a fever of 100.6, which is a bit high for a one month old. So, off to the hospital we went (after talking on the phone with his doctor).

We were at the hospital for a long time... from 4:30 till about 1:30 this afternoon. They ran so many tests... the poor little man has had his heel poked, arm and hand poked -- all three for blood samples. He's had his temp taking quite a few times, had his eyes, ears and throat looked at. And, he had a spinal injection thingy to test for meningitis. Oh and he had a shot of an antibiotic just in case! Plus he's had a few doses of fever reducer. It's so hard to watch your baby suffer, though I will admit, this time I wasn't as an emotional wreck as the first time he had to get a needle. Adam was with me, which was so helpful. We took turns holding Ryan and taking a nap on the hospital bed. I'm glad Ryan isn't whimpering or screeming anymore and that, so far, all the tests have come back negative (they have no clue what's causing the fever).

The two male nurses at the hospital were wonderful! I love SMMC... they have the best staff... well, except for the guy who gives entrathecals. Anyway, the experience was a good one. I can't imagine how it would have been if the nurses were jerks.

I am glad Ryan was healthy for Father's Day. He loved being with his daddy. Together we made him a card for his first father's day and told him how much Ryan loves spending time with him. It's so cute how his eyes light up when his daddy comes home and how he loves to just be next to him. And I'm sure every wife says the same thing, but Adam is a wonderful daddy... he even impressed the nurses with his baby handling skills today.

And admists all of the stress today, I can still see that we are truly blessed. We have a beautiful baby, who is so good... this is the first time he's cried for anything more than wanting a bottle (and most of the time, he doesn't cry for that either, he just sucks on his fingers). And we're feeling blessed that this hospital visit happened while I still have my insurance that we consider "good" and not the one that starts next month with a super high deductible. While we're really tired, we're just counting our blessings today.

2 comments:

tmcroat said...

wow! glad things were ok

Val said...

Poor little bug.... I hope he gets feeling better soon. And I hope you and Adam are able to get some rest.