Sunday, June 11, 2006

World Cup marks an anniversary

So, World Cup started on the 9th and we've been watching as many games as they are showing on ABC. We have no cable tv, and this is the only time I think we've really wanted it, but we're happy that ABC is carrying some of the games for us to watch. Adam's only seen one and Ryan and I have watched three of them. Ryan really likes them, or at least that's the way it seems. He gets wicked excited when goals are scored and makes grunting sounds when bad calls are made. I think sometimes he just likes watching Adam getting all upset about things.

Anyway this past week we celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary. We were in Ireland to celebrate World Cup that year. We wanted to be in Germany for World Cup this year, but having a baby changed that whole plan. Seems we are centering big life events around World Cup... I wonder what big life event will take place in four more years, though at this point, I won't speculate. Why we like soccer so much is beyond me. Maybe it's because it's more fast-paced than baseball, though I like going to baseball games, too. Go Cards! (yes my loyalties still lie in St. Louis where I saw my first baseball game in a staduim. Plus, Red Sox tickets are wicked expensive and it takes too long to travel there). I like hockey too, though mostly because you can expect an all out fist fight easily within the first three seconds of a game.

Anyway, back to the anniversary. It was weird leaving Ryan behind. My parents watched him for us, though I left strict instructions that he remain at home and not be taken anywhere else. It's not that I don't trust them, it's just that I'm nervous... he's so little and he's baby number one... it's expected that we be over cautious, right?

We didn't go far from home, but not because of Ryan, it was becasue Adam doesn't get home until 6 and if we had to drive a half hour, wait a half hour for a table and then eat and come home, it would have been rather late. I wish now, that I had agreed to meet him at the Steakhouse in Wells. We ate at the Back Street Grill here, which has ALWAYS had good service and great food, except for this night. All of our food (bread, appetizers, main course) were over cooked, which made it just that tiny bit unenjoyable. The wine, however, was great - Monkey Bay was the brand and it was a white wine, but that's all I remember. I didn't even drink it all because I am breast feeding, but it was good for the toast! Another note on the bright side was that we were able to talk alone and be together and that the Shain's of Maine ice cream was wicked yummy in the tummy. And we ended our fourth anniversary by watching some pointless show on television, but are looking forward to many more years to celebrate, hopefully with better food and always with Shain's of Maine =)

No comments: