Friday, March 27, 2009

Getting Tim to sleep

Timothy has been a great sleeper since we brought him home from the hospital. We put him in the crib and he goes to sleep sucking his thumb.

Lately, that hasn't been the case at all. He gets up in the middle of the night and will not sleep in his bed. Being on a higher dose of meds lately has made me extra sleepy, so instead of getting him back in his bed, he ends up sleeping in mine. I needed a solution.

I attempted the Ferber method for going to bed so I wouldn't have to rock him and also for night time wakings. But Tim would cry for an hour if we let him and get all worked up and literally covered in snot and tears. This method worked great for Ryan, but it wasn't working at all for little Tim. He knows what he wants and will stop at nothing to get it.

So I started searching for other methods online and came across a blog in which a mother praised the Super Nanny's gradual method of being in the room as they fall asleep and then eventually not being there at all. I kind of modified it a little and I stand next to his crib while I tell him I'm there and that he doesn't have to worry and can go to sleep. Once I hear somewhat relaxed breathing I start to move out of the room. Tonight I won't be standing next to the crib as he starts that relaxed breathing. I'll be a little bit farther away. It's worked in the middle of the night without waking Ryan up since the boys share a room and I'm happy with our progress. The only time Tim was in our bed last night was for a middle of the night feeding because he didn't finish his bottle before bed.

I guess it's true what they say... every child really is different and requires different styles of parenting. The sure keep me on my toes!

1 comment:

gingrpchy said...

If Katy sees us in the room she wants to be held. It's better for us to just leave... I think... It doesn't always work. I hope it works for you.