Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I GOT A CALL FROM AN OLD FRIEND...

That's the first line to a song that I once knew....

Anyway...

Last night we got a weird message on our answering machine. A woman's voice said, "Number one, it's number two. I got your message. Tag you're it. My cell phone didn't ring this time when you called. It's sitting in front of me. Hopefully you'll get this and I'll talk to you soon."

Weird huh? Neither of us know a number one and don't recall being nicknamed number two.

Anyway, that got me to thinking about friends and how bad I am at keeping in touch. Most people have blogs these days so I just read the blog. I figure, or hope, they read mine and that way, we are keeping in touch.

Let's face it though, it's just not the same. Today, I was hoping to get an e-mail from someone. Anyone. And then I got a phone call from an old friend. He's actually a former teacher turned friend who lives in Florida and is working on his PhD. We caught up as best we could. It had been almost a year since we last talked.

Then, I got on the computer again. This time I was the one writing the e-mail. If you read this blog and you haven't received an e-mail yet, expect to sometime soon. And tonight I got e-mail. It was refreshing. It was from a dear friend who I miss so much. We get along so well and now we live so far apart. I keep hoping for a new friend like her, but none just yet. The thing is, I don't think I will have a friend that is just the same. She is special in her own way and I like that about her. And we talk about things I probably wouldn't talk about with other girls.

The friend who called asked about friends here. We have some. They are nice. We get along well, but we don't go out all the time like our friends from Illinois. It seemed that with Kyle and Sarah we did something almost every week. If nothing else I would get excited about something and leave an extreemly long message on the answering machine. And well, that's kind of what made me want to write this post.

Friends, no matter what nickname you have for them, are precious and deserve more than to read your blog to find out about life. So, write a friend a note or give them a call. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you!

P.S. There's no snow here yet and I'm sad about this!

No comments: