Saturday, October 11, 2008

In which we eat fire and survive


I have so much to post about Adam's vacation, but I wanted to post this first.

While in Manchester we decided to grab some pub food. Pub food is cheap and good. We went to the Wild Rover, which we all love, and got ready to experience some new creation.

We order buffalo wings wherever we go. It's just what we do. We love them and we sample them at every place we eat. Going to the Rover was no different. The last time we were there, we had wonderful Jamaican Jerk wings... alas they were not on the menu so we decided to go with the regular buffalo wings. In true Kris tradition, I ordered "hot" because "mild" doesn't taste anything like buffalo wings to me.

Fire wings



To truely understand, you must know that for breakfast everyone in our party had toast. We were HUNGRY. On top of that, Ryan kept saying "eat now" while we waited for the wings and an order of fries for him.

My very hungry Ryan with an almost empty plate.



The wings came but were missing the blue cheese dip. Ryan wanted a wing, but wanted dip. I was so hungry I couldn't wait for the waitress to come back so I grabbed a wing, took a bit and imediately realized I'd made a BIG mistake. I felt like I had eaten fire. My eyes were watering, my ears felt hot and my mouth was overcome by the spiciness of the wing.


"Guys, I think ordering hot was a bad idea. These things are wicked hot," I say.

Wiping my tears.

Not believing me, Adam decided to lick the sauce from one of the wings. His response: drink lots of soda and look frantically for the waitress so we can get dip.

Adam attempting to get rid of the fire in his mouth using a pickle.



Needless to say, the dip realy didn't help. After two wings, both Adam and I decided there was no way we could finish those buffalo wings and poor Vince took one bite and announced he hated me. Ryan, meanwhile is begging for a wing and we are saying," sorry buddy, these wings wouldn't be good for you."


As we are wiping away our tears, our meal comes and we all quickly eat as much bread, fries and onion rings as we can, not to mention, we needed refills on the drinks. So, we're trying to taste our food and out comes the owner.

"Guys I really need to apologize. The wings you had weren't "hot" they were "Habanero Blast" (just the hottest on the menu). Somehow, the lables got mixed up and you got the wrong sauce on your wings. We'll give you the wings free and get you the ones you originally ordered."


We asked our order be amended to be just "mild."

We ate fire and survived.

The rest of our super hot wings went to the guys behind us, who also downed lots of soda and then decided to order just "hot."

I will probably never forget this experience. I'm still not sure what my nacho crusted chicken tasted like, but we did have a great time. Ryan was the one to eat the mild wings. The rest of us decided not to even try.

No comments: