Saturday, October 25, 2008

My week

This week has been average and that's okay. I am excited that my parents will arrive tomorrow. When you ask Ryan who is coming on a plane tomorrow he says, "Nana, papa, plane high in the sky. FAST!" He's excited because I told him if we get there a little early we might get to see the plane land.

I tried packing earlier, but the task seems too big right now. Adam promised help later since he's really good at packing and I am not. We're staying at a place in Wells that is like an apartment because there's no room here to have the parents stay. Adam will be working and staying with us just two nights. I'm excited because it's like a mini-vacation.

Ryan is doing well with the potty still. He had a bit of regression this week where he just didn't want to go on the potty. Today, however, he is wearing real underpants and doing really well at keeping Mater and McQueen dry.

Timothy is still my little eater. He is loving most foods. We discovered he hates peas and carrots. He was teething pretty bad this week and was up every hour on the half hour on Wednesday night. I really like the sleeping through the night stage.... and we're back there again.

At work this week we are now required to ask for credit cards for signature comparison AND for ID. To show you how stupid people think we are because we work at WM, I must share these stories. The first is of a lady who had not signed her card. When I said I also needed her ID, she said she didn't have it with her, so I said she would have to pay another way. She tells me she can sign the card in front of me. Um, hello, a thief can do that too.

The second is of an 18 year old and his girlfriend who hand me their card and their ID. So as not to get in trouble I will make up some names. The CC says David E. Jones and the license says Brent D. Jones. And the kid tells me his middle name is David. Yeah, okay and the E on the CC stands for Brent? No, I don't think so. Similarly, a lady tried to use a card that said Lucas on it and refused to show her ID... I wonder why?

For the most part, people who come through my line want to know why, if their card is already signed, that we are asking for ID. When we say that there's a huge scam going on that involves people using other's cards because no one bothers to check signatures anymore (now that world is so electronic) they willingly give their ID and are glad we care.

I really enjoy what I do two days a week at WM. I enjoy the break from the kids, I enjoy that I feel like I am contributing to our finances and I enjoy the people that are regulars and my co-workers (at least 99% of them). I just wish there was some program that allowed kids to see what service jobs like mine are like. I think they'd be nicer to the cashier, nicer to their waitress... and the list goes on. Not that I think any of you reading this would do this, but there's no need to yell or curse or throw a fit at those serving you. If they are rude first (which I have seen) it pays to ask to see their manager.

And so that was my week and I'm looking forward to the next one.

No comments: