Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Done with winter

It's official. I am ready to be done with winter. The snow was fun in December, but it's not so fun now. I'm ready for the big thaw. I want spring flowers. I want lots of warm days spent playing at the park with the boys. But this is Maine and I'm afraid it will still be snowing in April.

On Sunday when I went to work it was raining. I was okay with that. An hour into my shift it was snowing big wet snowflakes and were sticking to the ground and piling up. Two hours into my shift I was one of two cashiers left in the store. And three and a half hours later I was being sent home since I was the cashier who lived the farthest from the store.

I made my way out to the car in what seemed to be about 6 inches of snow and started cleaning off the car. By the time I was done there was snow on the parts I'd already cleaned... quite a bit of it actually. I took a photo on my cell phone and sent it to Adam (I'd already called him and told him I was on my way home in almost white-out conditions).

It took an hour to drive what normally takes about 20 minutes. That's an hour of me in a silent car (when it's snowing I don't turn the radio or my mp3 player on) with super white knuckles attempting to see the road and hoping to get home safely. It was slow going.... like 20 -25 mph slow. There was one car off the road (there had been reports of two cars that had flipped over on route 4, but I was going in a completely different direction) and the police and a tow truck were working to get it out of the ditch. At times, I couldn't see which direction the road was going.... that wasn't fun at all. But I made it home safely.

To think of more snow next Sunday night doesn't make me happy at all. It's so cold we can't really enjoy playing in it, so that means I'm done with it.

Spring, please do your thing and make an early appearance this year!

2 comments:

gingrpchy said...

This is why I told Kyle I didn't really want to live in the north. It's in the mid 60s here today. I feel for you.

Kris said...

That's not fair Sarah! I am so jealous!