Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Favorite Smell

My favorite smell is pipe smoke. I know it sounds weird but it's true. I could have written about how I really like the smell of carnations and how Adam always purchases those for me because he knows they are my favorite flower to smell, but I really like to smell a pipe burning.

I guess the reason I like the smell pipe smoke is because it reminds me of home. I can remember walking down Bay Street as a child and seeing old men playing chess or checkers on the sidewalk. They'd always be smoking pipes. Pipes and old men just seemed to go hand-in-hand and I couldn't wait to marry and get old so my husband could sit on the porch in a rocking chair and smoke a pipe.

Also pipe smoke reminds me of the Atlantis hotel piano lounge where my friends and I spent many a Sunday evening after church playing spades. So many people were either smoking cigars or pipes in there. Those times of playing cards with friends are some of my most cherrished memories of home.

No comments: