Friday, March 07, 2008

Big Baby = Girl?

I thought my six-month-check-up would be quick and pretty straight forward. What was I thinking? I mean nothing about this pregnancy has been "normal" and it seems like every visit lands me for another test or ultrasound. Why would this month be any different?

Let's start with weight gain. Apparently you can attempt to eat healthy and watch what you put in to the body and discover you've put on five pounds in one month and that you almost weigh what you did when you had your last baby. My doctor's office has this HUGE scale they weigh everyone on and I call it the cow scale. I hate the cow scale and generally don't look, but for some reason I looked this week and was shocked by the numbers on the little digital screen.

Needless to say, we had that talk. The one where the doc says weight gain has a direct correlation to the size of baby. I'm not fully on board with this tought simply because two my my friends both had a 60 pound weight gain for their pregnancies. One delivered a six pounder and the other a 10 pounder.

I agreed that my weight gain was more than I wanted it to be. I know I can't lose weight while pregnant and that we'll just be careful. And she slipped in that my GD test was a close pass and I may have to take that one again. I jokingly said I would as long as I get to drink the orange drink this time.

We moved on to the heartbeat. Ryan thought that was pretty cool.

Lastly, we did the fundal height measurement. I was measuring two to three weeks ahead. While I think they have my due date off by a week (based on my careful calculations) I don't think I'm almost a month ahead. Of course, this is what sent me to the hospital a few hours later with Adam and Ryan in tow for yet another ultrasound. I've lost count of how many I've had this pregnancy.

Baby is cute, but apparently big, weighing in at 2.2 pounds putting baby in the 71st percentile. That puts me a week ahead of my due date, according to the tech. Of course, the tech couldn't tell us anything else. Someone else gets to read her report and tell our doctor whatever it is that needs telling. I have photos on a CD this time, but have no idea how to export them. I wish I could. At one point baby had its eyes open and Adam, the lover of all things eyes, was glad to see baby has a developed iris and pupil. =-)

Anyway, it seems like all my friends who have had or are having girls have measured large in terms of fundal height. Does that mean this baby will be a girl? The jury's still out.

1 comment:

Val said...

Oh Kris. I just hate it when they do that routine. Like you aren't a nervous wreck enough in pregnancy.... To have "That talk" is the absolute worst.

I jumped like that at one of my appointments too. As I remember, it ended up being water-weight gain.

How is your BP reading and such?

I know you know to 'relax' (as if by willing yourself to do so you could, right?) but seriously, I think sometimes they get all dramatic and serious about these things in a way that just worries moms more than they need to worry. You ARE eating right and doing the right things. Just keep doing that and trust that you are doing all that you can to ensure that baby is ok.

((((hugs)))) to you.