Saturday, March 15, 2008

Grammy

My best friend's grandmother died this week. I found out through facebook. I know it's kind of a weird way to find out that someone's realtive has died, but I suppose in a world of ever changing technology, it's not that odd.

I'm really sad I'm so far away and can only offer words of comfort rather than actually be there to hug and help. BF had been living with and taking care of her grandmother for quite some time now and I can't imagine how even more difficult that makes the situation.

I have good memories of Grammy. She used to pick us up from school on Fridays when we were let out earlier than the other days of the week. We used to be embarassed to be seen in her car because she drove so. slow. She drove with one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake.

We spent summer days with Grammy teaching us how to crochet. I never quite understood any of it until many years later. Grammy made good food on these days too. I'm sure she always made good food, but these were the only times I was actually with her to find out.

Grammy took a long time to get dressed and often was mismatched. We thought it was funny and would roll around laughing about it later. Grammy was always interested in our lives. It's sad to know she's gone.

It really stinks to be so far away from someone you know could use some extra love, too.

No comments: