Friday, March 21, 2008

The joys of maternity shopping

Shopping for maternity clothing can be a challenge, especially if you aren't tall and thin. When I was pregnant with Ryan I managed to wear the same size pants for most of my pregnancy. Not so this time. The way this baby has taken up residence in me requires larger waistbands. Anyway, I was on the hunt for pants to go with this really cute shirt I wore the Easter I was prego with Ry.

We went to the mall to the maternity store and tried on just about every pair of pants in the store. Either the waist was perfect and they were tight in the legs or the waist was too big and the leg part was fine. I was rather frustrated, though the clerk was rather helpful in getting me all sizes and all styles of pants. I'm sure she was anxious to make a sale. We were the only ones in the store.

This particular maternity store doesn't have doors on the changing rooms...just curtains. Ryan decided it would be fun to push the stroller in and out of the room through the curtain while I tried on numerous pairs of pants. The clerk was again wonderful in helping keep him occupied and giving him books and other little toys with which he could play.

When I couldn't find a pair of pants (and we'd already looked at other stores) I started trying on dresses. This is when I got a little frustrated with the clerk. Every dress, no matter how much it looked like a muumuu on me was "perfect" or "looks great on you!" I also tried on every dress in the store, even ones she had to get from the back that were new.

I got to the last dress and was surprised that I actually liked it and thought I looked beautifully pregnant in it. We bought it and got the heck out of the mall. I was exhausted. Ryan was bored. I'm glad I have something to wear for Easter and to an April wedding.

But pregnancy shopping is so tough. It's worse than non-pregnancy shopping because the stores are limited. And it's only more furstrating while someone lies to you. I hope I don't have to do any more maternity shopping...ever.

No comments: