Friday, July 31, 2009

Changing my picky eater

In the August Parenting magazine that arrived at my door yesterday, there was an article especially for me.

"Food for thought" by Celia Barbour gave five suggestions for the parent of the picky eater.

1. I am not a short-order cook. We never have been, though we will allow the kids a hot dog if they don't eat anything. I found it interesting that she quoted the Guide to your Children's Nutrition "Children will not become ill or suffer permanently if they refuse a meal or two, but parents sometimes act as though youngsters might shrivel up and die." I guess since Ryan has been considered underweight for awhile, I do wonder about him shriveling up and dying. She basically said what my mom has been telling me all along, "Ryan will eat when he's hungry."

2. I can spice things up. Kids shouldn't be subjected to bland food. I haven't done this and I won't. I like my spices and I want them to like them too.

3. I should give veggies the hard sell. If I mix the veggies with the main course, they will eventually eat them. She suggested if I put it on the table first, when they are the most hungry, they may eat them first too.

4. Eat dinner together. We try to,but often, Ryan and Tim are hungry before Adam gets home. It's just the three of us some nights.

5. My kids have to try one bite. Just one. If it makes them gag, they shouldn't be forced to eat every bite.

6. If all else fails, I should bribe them.... no dessert, no seconds and suggest giving it to the other brother. They hate sharing. This one, might actually work.

7. Make them save room for dessert.

I'll let you know if any of these work my picky eaters.

1 comment:

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

It seems like the moment Fen turned one, she stopped liking dinner. For two years, it's been a real struggle...but I finally feel like we're getting over the hump! I try to cut food up into interesting shapes and I do have the "no clean plate, no dessert" rule. Occasionally Fen eats REALLY slowly and I have to set the timer to speed things up...but most nights, Fen wants her sweet treat, so she eats her dinner. I'll be interested to hear what works for you!