Monday, November 09, 2009

Picky eaters update

In case you missed this post and the one before it, I should mention that my kids are picky eaters. They like hot dogs, chicken nuggets, anything you can dip and candy. That's about it. It's rather frustrating for someone who like variety in her food life to have to deal with two picky eaters.

I've tried lots of things with them over the months since I made those posts about how my kids were picky eaters and how I was going to try that list of things to see if I could get them to eat. Sometimes they were great and other times they were just plain awful.

While my parents were here, Ryan said all the food "stinks" and refused to eat a lot of things. If we sat him down and told him he had to have three bites, he'd gag and throw up. It was so frustrating. Eating at the table every night while they were here did not help him one ounce. He still ate his chicken nuggets and hot dogs the best and left the rest.

Since Halloween, Ryan has asked for candy A LOT. I tell him if he eats the tiny portions I give him... eats all of it, then I will give him ONE candy. It's like magic! The kid actually does eat! I mean, he isn't eating everything, but he's eating. He's trying. The other night he gobbled up his noodles so fast, I wasn't sure this was my kid. He's tried foods I thought he wasn't interested in and asked for more! It's all because of some candy in a jack-o-lantern like bucket sitting on a shelf in the basement loaded with candy.

I will say I have learned a few things over the past few months.

1. I cannot force another bite if the kid says he's full. It will result in him throwing up.
2. Carrots and celery dipped in ranch dressing is a great "side" to any of his meals. He gobbles them up and they are good for him.
3. Promised treats after a meal make him eat the meal.
4. His portions are WAY smaller than ours and that's okay.
5. Sometimes eating in front of the tv is a great reward, especially if it's with dad and a new movie.

1 comment:

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

We have a tough time at dinner too. Slowly, slowly I'm getting Fen to eat more vegetables. Whew, it's stressful though! Glad to know I'm not alone in my struggle :).