Monday, November 10, 2008

Minestrone soup

I often crave Olive Garden's Minestrone soup. The unlimited soup and salad lunch is one of my favorites. This is a very yummy soup that I thought I'd share. I have very much enjoyed cooking and eating this. If you try it, please let me know how it was for you.

Minestrone
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon of the minced garlic that comes in the jar or 1 clove of it crushed
2 Tablespoons of butter
28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt, dried oregano, basil and pepper
3 14.5 oz cans of beef broth
1 16 oz can navy beans (I used great northern beans because I cannot find the navy ones)
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 large zucchini cut in half lenghtwise and sliced
1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
1/4 cup parsley
Freshley grated Parmesan cheese

Saute first four ingredients in the butter on medium until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and seasonings and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 mins. Add beef broth, beans, zucchini, parsley and macaroni (it works better if the macaroni is cooked first or it takes up all the juice). Cook until heated through.Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic bread and salad.

No comments: