Saturday, November 15, 2008

Times are tough

This post is a bit random, but it's what I've been thinking about the past few days or so...

It's no doubt that the current economic situation is dismal. It stinks to think that people are being laid off because of lack of business. Adam and I often look around on our drives to the grocery store or on a trip up here to Manchester and see what stores are closing. It stinks that so many have lost jobs. We're so grateful to still have ours.

In a recent conversation with my mom I discovered that Atlantis in The Bahamas laid off 800 workers. That's an incredible number of people who will be looking for jobs in a tourist-driven economy. I can only imagine how crime will increase as people try to make ends-meet.

Of course the same thing is happening all around us as factories lay off their employees and keep only a few workers to keep things going for now. Some just close all together.

Here in the U.S. it has been reported by various newspapers that gun sales are on the rise despite a tough economy. This article on WashingtonPost.com speculates that they are on the rise because of a fear that crime will increase as the economy becomes increasingly more difficult.

Having lived in Illinois for five years, I can say with certainty that I am not anti-gun. There are responsible people who use guns to hunt and protect their property. However, the more people who have guns who don't know how to use them scares me. I can only imagine what can happen with that in mind.

In a month when we are reminded to give thanks, I know some don't feel thankful at all. We are truly blessed to have our jobs and still be making it. We can only hope and pray that things get better... and soon.

No comments: