Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The parents visit



My parents were visiting us last week. I was so looking forward to their visit and am really sad that it came to an end so quickly.


We did lots together. We started the week off with taking the boys out for Christmas photos. I took the photos and I think the cards (which cost only 30 cents each) look really good. Also on day one we went swimming in the hotel's heated indoor pool. Ryan had a blast. There was a part of the pool that was just perfect for him. He swam around with Papa and also played with his boat.


Adam had two days off with us. That first day we left the kids with the guys and went for a mani and pedi. It's nice to be pampered now and then. We had lunch and then headed out to go candle-pin bowling. We had an awesome time. I love going bowling and wish we did it more often. The guys then took about an hour and enjoyed more time in the pool and hot tub.


We did some shopping, as is the tradition when my parents come to town. It wasn't crazy shopping like sometimes, but it was shopping nonetheless.


A funny thing happened while my parents were here. From the minute Ryan saw Nana he wanted her to buy him a truck. Nana has become the toy lady and Papa is the pool man. Anyway, every time we went out Ryan asked for a truck. He did get there little matchbox cars one day at Wal-Mart. But on that day we were shopping he wanted Nana to buy a BIG truck. We had to tell him we didn't have a truck, but a better surprise. He had tons of fun at Chuck E. Cheese were we spent our afternoon playing with him. But he kept asking my mum for a truck. She promised him money for a toy of his choice when he is fully potty trained. He hasn't forgotten either. He told Memere about this just yesterday.


All too quickly it was Friday and both Adam and I worked while the parents took care of the boys. I rushed back from work to take Ryan trick-or-treating, which was so much fun this year. He really gets it.


And then it was Saturday and they were packing to leave. On a last shopping experience, mum and I went to a craft fair where I scored some awesome Christmas gifts. Then they left for the airport.


Seriously, the time goes by too quickly. I'm already wondering when we'll get to visit next. I think this time was even more awesome because Ryan is really understands who Nana and Papa are and that they are okay to hang out with. I think those first few times, because we don't see them very often, Ryan wasn't so sure about who they are and how he should be around them. Of course, Tim just loves the attention. While Ryan talks to Nana on the phone each week, I sure wish they lived closer or that we could visit more often so that my kids could really have a nice relationship with them.


Who knows, maybe money will fall from the sky and I can go to the Bahamas whenever I want. Okay, that's unlikely.


However, this week, every time we went out Ryan expected a new truck. One of our trips to the mall he kept insisting that Nana buy a truck. We told him we had a surprise for him, but that it wasn't a truck. He was thrilled when he discovered the surprise was going to Chuck E. Cheese.

No comments: