Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Today is Veterans Day

Today as I sat in the waiting room of our doctor's office a guy sitting next to us says to his wife, "Hey what's the vice president doing putting a wreath on a grave for? Is it some big-wig's funeral?"

I'd also been watching Dick Cheney place the wreath at Arlington Memorial this morning at 11 a.m. and was a bit shocked that this guy didn't know that today was Veterans Day. I suppose in a way I shouldn't be too surprised. The little people my age know about history is pathetic. Most people go through high school and college just because they have to. They learn very little because school is more of a social thing for them.

Anyway, the wife turns to the guy and says, "I don't know, they must be really important because there's a lot of military people there. (Speaking to me now) "Excuse me, but do you know whose funeral this is that we're watching?"

"Um, well, it's actually not a funeral." I say. "Today is actually Veterans Day and they're remembering the fallen heroes of our nation."

Her reply: "Oh yeah, that's not one of the holidays I get off work, ha ha ha."

I don't think I smiled back at the wife. I was fuming, but trying not to let it show. I really pray none of my friends or family are unaware of today's significance.

If you want to do some light reading on Veterans Day you can check out these websites.

This one gives a brief history.

I like this one because it's what I remember, as a Bahamian, being taught in school. I also remember getting poppies to wear.

I hope we never forget the significance of this day!

No comments: